These are simple mannerism that should be taught from the beginning on how to respects your elders:
- Address them properly-Use their name if that is what they agree to.Always use Mr. (Or) Ms.
- Shake Hands-When greeting or meeting for the first time always shake hands,a simple gesture shows you have manners
- Make eye contact & smile-when approaching or greeting your elders,always make eye contact.It not only shows you acknowledge their presence it shows respect.Smiling also may make their day brighter.
- Speak clearly-Keep your voice clear where you can be understood & speak louder so the person can hear you.
- Offer Assistance-When elderly person is entering an entrance always hold the door & allow them to go first.If something is at high reach, get it for them.Pay attention to the disability as well making sure to give them a seat to sit down.It not only makes their lives easier.It would be greatly appreciated.
- Give your time & attention-Most elderly love company & enjoy conversations on many topics.Play board games with grandparents or other elderly person and show you care.They also love to watch movies.
- Show Your Love-The elderly person could be a grandparent,aunt,uncle,parent,or other family member,show them that you love him or her.A great way to connect is to ask about your ancestors & offer to make a memory scrap book to learn about them & discuss their life experiences.Teach your children how to behave among elders.
- Show Good Manners-Most elders was taught good mannerism when they was children,and deserve respect, such as,"Please" & Thank you".They expect us to follow their lead by respecting those who came before us.