- Warm oatmeal and berries.Use a crockpot,place frozen berries or fresh .Add butter with one serving of old fashion oatmeal with water,cover & cook on low,for several hours(overnight).this will give consistency of bread pudding.
- A hard boiled egg.have with a side of fruit with a slice of whole wheat toast.
- Whole grain pancakes or waffles.for extra fiber.top with berries.For protein,use walnuts or almonds
- Yogurt parfait.Mix yogurt with nuts and fruit.
- Quinoa salad.Pre-chopped stir -fry vegetables (onion,red pepper,mushrooms).Comebine with pine nuts or pecans (optional) with cooked quinoa.Toss with Italian salad dressing.Eat fresh,warm or cold.According to USDA recommends steaming & sautéing vegetables in olive oil instead of boiling,to keep all the nutrients.
- Eggs & red potatoes.Melt unsalted butter in a skillet,low heat.Cover for 2 minutes.Then, pour scrambled eggs over potatoes.Add pepper rather than salt.use fresh herbs and spices.
- Salmon wrap.Place canned Alaskan boneless skinless salmon on a whole grain wrap with chopped avocado,tomatoes,greens and plain yogurt.wrap, cut in half & enjoy.
- Beans and Rice.Heat up a can of black,pinto,or white beans.Serve with brown rice,oats,barley.You can warm meal in crock pot and eat later.
- Grilled or baked Alaskan salmon.Top each steak with tomatoes,sweet onions,dried or fresh basil,chopped garlic & 1tbs of extra virgin olive oil.Wrap each piece of fish tightly in aluminum foil.Place in the oven at 300 degrees.When the fish is flaky & moist it's ready to eat.
- Southwest chicken salad.Cook boneless, skinless chicken breast on medium heat in a skillet with extra virgin olive oil.Then add salsa,shred chicken, refrigerate to use in wraps or soup.
**If you notice changes in eating habits or weight loss please consult their Doctor.Most seniors will display some of these things if help is needed for food prep: spoiled food in refrigerator,diminish energy or strength in lifting dishes in and out of cabinet,empty refrigerator, burner left on,pans burned (signs they left the stove on for a long duration)**
These are organization that can help with providing proper nutrients to seniors well being below:
- Meals on Wheels Association of America:Prepares and delivers more that one million meals to seniors each day.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program:(SNAP): This is the goverment food assistance program.Seniors who have trouble affording fresh fruits and vegetables and other food can apply.
- Schwan's:A national grocery store delivers frozen meals-breakfast,lunch & dinner- door to door every two weeks.
- Net grocers:An online grocery store,delivers perishables and frozen foods,along with other groceries,within 3-7 business days.Also check out peapod.com,depending where you live is also a great service.